When you seek care from Mayo Clinic's Division of General Internal Medicine, you will find doctors and advanced practice providers dedicated to understanding and managing all aspects of adult patients' general health care. You will also be offered preventive care and disease prevention strategies to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
This care is provided in a clinical environment supported by education and research that yields new medical advancements and treatments. Your General Internal Medicine doctor provides seamless referral to other Mayo Clinic specialists as needed. This method of comprehensive care ensures you get exactly the care you need.
Mayo Clinic's General Internal Medicine professionals focus on:
- Comprehensive care for people with undefined symptoms — such as shortness of breath, chest pain, abdominal pain and back pain — who need help in diagnosing their illness
- Collaboration, which means you may be referred to a surgeon or other doctor from Mayo Clinic's multidisciplinary team of specialized experts
- Preventive medicine care, such as mammograms, Pap smears, cholesterol screening and blood pressure screening
- Communication with your local primary provider about ongoing care after you return home, which is especially important if you have one or more chronic medical illnesses, such as high blood pressure or diabetes
- Comprehensive management of medical needs for hospitalized patients, including preoperative evaluation of medical risks before surgery
Mayo Clinic's Division of General Internal Medicine is one of the largest academic General Internal Medicine divisions in the world. It has locations in Arizona, Florida, Minnesota and several communities throughout Mayo Clinic Health System.