Although you may appear thinner when you wear a girdle, the girdle doesn't strengthen or tone your abdominal muscles. Girdles just temporarily compress and redistribute fat and skin around the abdomen. When it comes to a flat stomach, diet and exercise — not undergarments — are what count.
Dietary changes and aerobic exercise can help you shed unwanted pounds, including those around your middle. Although it takes aerobic activity to burn fat, core exercises can strengthen and tone the underlying muscles.
Core exercises include:
- Abdominal crunches
- Leg lifts
- Plank poses
- Bridge poses
But any exercise that uses the trunk of your body without support counts, including Pilates and fitness ball exercises.
Jan. 14, 2020
See more Expert Answers
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Dec. 12, 2019.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. 2nd ed. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition. Accessed Dec.12, 2019.
- Peterson DM. The benefits and risks of aerobic exercise. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Dec. 12, 2019.
- Clark DR, et al. Contemporary perspectives of core stability training for dynamic athletic performance: A survey of athletes, coaches, sports science and sports medicine practitioners. Sports Medicine – Open. 2018; doi: 10.1186/s40798-018-0150-3.
- Brown LE, ed. Torso exercises. In: Strength Training. 2nd ed. Human Kinetics; 2017.
- Kenney WL, et al. Principles of exercise training. In: Physiology of Sport and Exercise. 7th ed. Human Kinetics; 2020.